Monday, November 12, 2012

Advance Ceramics: Day 30

YAY! I taught this specific class by myself! I am very happy to say that the class session went extremely well and the students responded great to my project/instructions.

The students in this class were introduced to their current project last week; Portrait Vessel.  However, Ms. Wager and I both have been witnessing that the students have been slacking off on this project and haven't really dived deep into it just yet... Hoping to motivate the students Ms. Wager asked me if I could boast their creative juices and kick the students into gear. Challenge accepted.

As the students walked in I played this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CI-0E_jses. (Glenn Muller- In the Mood). The students really loved this music as they entered class.  The students seemed excited and it was wonderful to see the students smile as they walked into class.  Some of the students added a little pep into their step and even Ms. Wager started dancing a little.

When the music came to a halt I revealed an image on the projector. The students immediately knew what was in store for the class. I informed the students that many seem intimidated by the new project and they are unsure where to start.  I explained to the students that they need some sort of inspiration and I used myself as an example.  I told the students I took this picture of myself and from the picture I could really vision how I would like to create my self-portrait vessel. I explained to the students that everyone needed to have a sketch of their vessel before they could work with clay.

The students did exceptionally well with my instructions.  They immediately went to work on their sketches.  I individually met with the students and we discussed their visions.  Some students took longer than the others but every student established what they wanted to create.

The students were all great and it was wonderful to see the students gain more confidence in themselves.  The students seemed less intimidated because they knew what they wanted to actually create!  I have a feeling we will all face a few bumps here and there but I'm very excited to see the students' final products!

No comments:

Post a Comment