Sunday, November 18, 2012

Student Teaching: Week 7

My oh my, last week was such a busy week!

I had my first observation and surprise surprise, I was pretty nervous! The observation took place during Sculpture which I presented my new lesson plan.  The students will be creating a sculpture inspired by their doodles I assigned them to create over the long weekend.  Looking back I would have changed a few things but overall I believe the presentation/delivery went well.  I will definitely revise the rubric and explain to the students that they will be highly graded on Sculpture-in-the-Round.  Next time when I introduce this project to my future students I will visually show them the difference between 2D and Sculpture-in-the-Round by showing them different angles of cardboard.

The students seemed to respond really well to the lesson plan (thank goodness because my adviser was there observing the classroom)!  All of the students (but one) are excited to create their sculptures (the one student informed that he thinks it is too challenging---oh well deary, that is the whole point of school)! The students were a little "bummed out" that we didn't have class time to work on their sculptures on Friday.  On the flip side, we went to an awesome admission presentation given by MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) which was PHENOMENAL and the students had a lot of fun with.

The day after my observation Ms. Wager was absent and I was in charge of the two Beginning Ceramic classes (compared to the day before I wasn't flustered at all, typical).  The students were angels and it seemed too good to be true in regards of how smooth everything was going....There were only 15 minutes left in the school day and there just so happened to be a major oops. A student knocked over a container of glaze which spilled all over the cabinet and the floor.  I understand accidents unintentionally happen but I was very upset because who ever knocked over the glaze left it there for me to clean.  I pulled up my big girl pants and gave it to the students.  I informed all of the students to stop what they were doing and to look at what someone did and left for me to clean.  I told the students they were not allowed to leave the class until the glaze was cleaned up.  I said a few other words about how Ms. Wager would be incredibly disappointed in them.  Four students got up from their seats and cleaned up the mess (which I took note of who).  I continued to lecture the students about having a conscience and doing the right thing (as in cleaning up something that you may have accidentally knocked over)! The students seemed a little shocked that I raised my voice but I most certainly earned more respect from them.

On a more positive note, most of the students in Beginning Ceramics finished their coil vessel projects.  The students had to create a vessel using different thicknesses and shapes of coils.  Students were allowed to roll thick or thin coils and form balls, spirals or even braids.  The requirements of the project were simple, the vessel had to be created by coils (or shapes/forms), at least 10 inches tall and the inside of the vessel had to be smooth.

The purpose of smoothing/blending the interior is to add strength to the vessel. One student "forgot" (more like was too lazy) to blend her coils together in the inside and after she completed her vessel she picked it up and the vessel broke in front of everyone's eyes. (Visual proof in regards of WHY you must blend the interior of the vessel.) Sadly, the student had to start over but on the brighter side she won't "forget" to blend the coils.

The students first hated this project (that's what they told me) but when I asked them again after the project they said they really loved it and thought the project was a lot of fun. The coil vessels came out BEAUTIFUL! This project really allowed me to see the students' individual creativity and imagination.  Some students incorporated braids or twists in their vessels.  Some of the vessels were closed while others were open (as if they were lanterns). Above is an image depicting the different executions of the coil project.  I am so so so so proud of the students and their creations...and not to mention it is wonderful to see the students are happy and proud of their own work!

No comments:

Post a Comment