Monday, May 6, 2013

Ark: Week 11:

The 3rd graders have been relieving their stress from the NYS tests by making Guatemalan Worry Dolls. Before we made the worry dolls, we discussed what worries us and we got to express our feelings. (I informed the students I was worried about not finishing my quilt for ART 521---I laugh too hard because the next class the students came running up to me and asked me if I had finished my quilt!)The students are using fabric, glue and yarn to cover wooden clothes pins to make their dolls. Students have been creating a lot of fun, bright and bold patterns by using different types of fabrics as clothes.  Once the students are done making their dolls they then drew patterns on a paper box (that they eventually cut and glued together). The students all decorated their boxes with crazy and fun patterns--they were all very different (which I loved)!  Some of the students were too cute--they used fabric to make pillows and blankets so that their worry doll could sleep safe and sound.

During this project I spent a lot of one on one time with students. During this time I learned more about the students...as in their personalities, how they learn and their personal needs in regards of how to assist them.  It was a good experience to work with the students one-on-one because it helped build a trust/bond between us. I have also been allowing some of the 3rd graders to come up to the art room during lunch--a lot of the time they just want to talk and socialize about random things with me.  I'm very happy that I am getting along so well with the students--it will be very difficult to leave them one day...

Below are images of the students' worry dolls!





No comments:

Post a Comment