Monday, May 6, 2013

Ark: Week 12


This past week I was also in charge of teaching the 6th graders about West African masks. I taught the students about my brother, Hans, and how he lived in Senegal, Africa for 5 years. After the PowerPoint and brief discussion I also had the students watch a video about Dogon Mask Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAY9R-_7ac)The students watched the 2 minute clip, completed a graphic organizer and then discussed what we learned.  The students got their hands dirty with paper mache as they covered newspaper strips over plastic milk gallons.  The 6th grade attitudes have improved and I believe it's because I've taken the time and individually spoke to them about what's going on with them (inside or outside of school).





The 6th graders have also been busy tracing 1st graders--at first they were all, "I DON"T WANNA DO THIS MURAL!!!" and now they are very excited :)  The students' attitudes have also shifted (thank goodness) with this idea.  They were actually having FUN during the tracing and I think because of that they realized I wasn't there to spoil their end-of-the-year-project but to make it better for them! Check out the pictures below!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment