Monday, October 1, 2012

Advance Ceramics: Day 1

Outside of the Box


Students were finishing the prior Slab technique project which had to be an abstract vessel.  Students had to assemble the vessel together with slabs of clay and had to also incorporate an in-lay design. Students then had to fill out a rubric and self-assess their project based on Planning/ Worth Ethic, Craftsmanship and Detail/Finish Work.  (Pictures of student work will be posted soon!)

Ms. Wager introduced next project; Clay Box. The Clay Box project is designed for students to create a ceramic object that has a discrete lid.  Ms. Wager encouraged her students to think about abstract visions and to stay away from “Cliché images” such as pumpkins, hearts, Christmas trees, etc. 
While the students were brainstorming I walked around the room and helped them think of ideas for their boxes. At first the students were still stumped about what to create thought the project had to be literally a box. Ms. Wager and I had to clearly inform students that their creations were not supposed to be a rectangular or squared shape. 

I sat down with the students individually and asked them what they liked to do or what their interests were.  The students were at first a little bashful but then warmed up to me and loved sharing their interests with me.  The students were eager to talk to me and exchange ideas back and forth. I encouraged them to write down what interests them and to think of different ways to sketch out their “normal” ideas into “abstract” images.

For example: one girl really liked fish and watched to make a simple fishbowl.  After talking with this student we explored different concepts and established a create plan.  This student is going to create an abstract vessel with sea urchin-like circular objects and add in random fishbowls that look similar to the sea urchins.  The student loved my suggested idea that she should also attach random fish throughout the vessel.

After witnessing me working with this particular student Ms. Wager pulled me aside.  She informed me how she appreciated my assistance and could tell the students were already responding well to me and my thoughts. I agree with her when she also informed me about how she believes the students benefit from hearing different suggestions from other people than herself.  This was great to hear because at first I was a little timid to reach out to the students. All the students needed was just a little boost to get their creative juices stirring!

Keep in mind pictures of student work and sketches will be posted ASAP! But in the meantime, if I could create a Clay Box this is what I would create:


No comments:

Post a Comment