Sunday, October 14, 2012

Advance Ceramics: Day 9

Today I finished the first stage of the creation process of my teacher sample.  I was first inspired by antlers and I attempted to construct antler-like forms however the antlers evolved into twigs (a happy accident).  I used a plaster mold in shape of a large bowl which I turned up-side-down.  I then placed a plastic bag over the mold to help eliminate the chances of the clay drying out.  I laid out rolled coils and flattened them throughout the mold interweaving them together.  Once the clay was leather hard (type of stage which the clay is very hard and durable) I flipped over the bowl so it was right-side-up.  I then used a carving tool to help add texture to the outside of the bowl hoping to resemble twig/stick texture. I smoothed out the inside of the bowl to add contrast from the rough texture on the exterior. This piece is currently in the kiln room drying out waiting for it's first firing.  I'm still contemplating if I would like to glaze it entirely white or if I should incorporate the stain technique that I love so much! Any suggestions would be very helpful...

The purpose of this piece is to demonstrate to Advance Ceramic students that art can be a beautiful functional piece of work.  Students will be expected to turn an every day object, like a bowl, into a beautiful piece of art.  I am curious to see what the students will come up with (I hope to see some funky plates, mugs, bowls, containers or maybe even small tables!)

No comments:

Post a Comment