Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Beginning Ceramics: Day 2

Rat-a-TAT-tat!

Today in Beginning Ceramics (Block 3) we are working on completing our rattle-heads.  This specific group of students are ahead of the other Beginning Ceramics class and most of the students were finalizing their heads.

To the left are some student examples of rattle-heads.  Many of these rattles depict funny facial expressions and it seems as if these little creations took on their own personalities!

Today, I sat next to a student and as a form of assessment/review I asked him to explain to me how to make rattle-head while I tried to make my own.  This student at first was a little nervous but they instantly warmed up to me.  He did a great job teaching me all of the steps to creating a rattle-head.
(To the lower right is an example of pinch pots.)



I walked around the room and picked a few student brains.  I asked the students why they incorporated some of their facial features and their reflections about the project.  The students seemed very please with the outcome of their projects.  I also noticed that the students often helped each other in regards of explaining what they should do to improve their rattle-heads.

The other Beginning Ceramic group  (Block 4) is a good class or two behind the other class.  Today the students learned how to create a hollow clay sphere and how to make the actual "clinkers" so their rattle-head makes noises.

As I walked around the room to see how the students were doing I overhead them chatting about how the project positively reminded them of Mr. Potato Head from Toy Story.  I think it's great the students are responding well to this project and tying it in with their childhood!

As for my rattle-head I'm pretty impressed with my craftsmanship considering I haven't worked with clay since (oh my) 2009. I am having a blast working with on this project! I'm not showing any pictures of my head just yet ...but my only hint is that it is influenced by La Calavera Catrina which was illustrated by that "dude" on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment