Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Beginning Ceramics: Day 6

Today I started this class session off with a short lecture about what is expected of the students in terms of their writing assessments.  During prep prior to this class I helped Ms. Wager grade the students self-assessments which composed of defining vocab, Q&A's that were in synced with a worksheet and a rubric. I became frustrated while reading the students' assessments because there were multiple grammar and spelling errors.  I was disheartened to see that freshmen and sophomores were commonly making middle school literacy mistakes.  The students also didn't write in complete sentences nor did they proof read.  I explained to the students that teachers want their students to show off their intelligence by writing anything and everything that pertains to the questions.  I also demonstrated to the students the importance of complete sentences by using examples of student work containing complete and incomplete sentences. The students were engaged in this discussion because I asked them numerous questions and reviewed the difference of "its vs. it's" and "their vs. there".

After the students finished their glazing they started their second self assessment and rubric.  I walked around the room and helped students with writing complete sentences.  I also noticed that the students took their time with filling out this assessment and referred to the art textbook for defining vocab.  I was very happy to see that the students responded well to my discussion.  I looked over some of the students writing and was impressed with their writing skills.  I guess the students needed a little reminder and encouragement in terms showing off their writing skills.   I'm glad I took the time to explain to the students the importance of good writing because it obviously made a difference in their writing!


After my discussion the students received their fired pinch pot projects.  Their projects were freshly fired and it was time to start glazing.   As a class we reviewed the basics about glazing prior to granting the students freedom to get busy glazing! The students spent the majority of the class time painting the glaze on their projects (afterwards they worked of their self assessments).

(The pictures above are images of the students' work prior to their final firing.  As you can see, the colors seem chalky and somewhat dull.  Just wait until you see the pieces after their firing....they will be anything but chalky and dull!)

I walked around the room and spoke to the students about their pieces.  I asked the students questions such as; What color scheme(s) are you using? Why did you pick those specific colors? How does the glaze color differ when wet/fired?  The students seemed to be really talkative and all wanted to share their thoughts and projects with me.  I feel as if the students are starting to look up to me as a "real-teacher" now (which is a great aspect--I'm already earning their trust!)

During the majority of the day Ms. Wager had the kiln on to help the clay objects in the kiln room dry out.  (Image depicted on the left.) This technique is calling "soaking" and in simple terms it speeds up the drying process and eliminates any extra moisture in the pieces.  Personally, I enjoyed going into the kiln room and checking on the pieces because it was nice and toasty in there!



No comments:

Post a Comment